URL: http://nationalgeographic.org/media/tracing-migration-routes/
How you found it: I went to the national geographic education site and searched immigration. I looked through the different options and this one sounded the more appropriate.
How you might use it in your final project: I could use it as a small project to show the kids that people from all over immigrated/ migrated to the U.S.
What standards does the resource address: 4 – G4.0.1 Use a case study or story about migration within or to the United States to identify push and pull factors (why they left, why they came) that influenced the migration. (H)
Name: Jigsaw
URL: https://twitter.com/87History/status/745553466097950723
How you found it: I found it scrolling through the history toolbox twitter feed.
How you might use it in your final project: I might use it as a way to get feedback on the lesson or how did reading the case studies of people who immigrated to the U.S. made them feel etc.
What standards does the resource address: 4 – G4.0.1 Use a case study or story about migration within or to the United States to identify push and pull factors (why they left, why they came) that influenced the migration. (H)
Name: Interviews with Today's Immigrants
URL: http://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/presentationsandactivities/presentations/immigration/interv/toc.php
How you found it: I googled immigration activities and games for kids online. I came across this site and looked into it. I found it has great case studies from all over that kids can read.
How you might use it in your final project: I could use it as research project or use it with the jigsaw organizer maybe. They could create a fakebook account and present their person to the class.
What standards does the resource address:
Name: Mission U.S. city of immigrants
URL: https://www.brainpop.com/games/missionuscityofimmigrants/
How you found it: I googled games and this came up under brainpop surprisingly. It might be too long for the kids to make it through but it does give them an idea of how it goes when immigrants would first arrive.
How you might use it in your final project: Just as a fun little game for indoor recess.
What standards does the resource address: 4 – G4.0.2 Describe the impact of immigration to the United States on the cultural development of different
places or regions of the United States (e.g., forms of shelter, language, food). (H)
4 – G4.0.3 Describe some of the movements of resources, goods, people, jobs and information to, from, or
within the United States, and explain the reasons for the movements.
I really like the Jigsaw idea. I think this is a great way to assess your students understanding of the topic being explored. For that type of template you could basically use for any type of activity. Not necessarily reflection purposes. I feel you could incorporate the puzzle piece aspect of everything fits in a certain period or piece in history. I'm not sure what your whole lesson plan entails, how would you use this strategy? That being said I definitely think you can use this in your lesson and many more subject areas.
ReplyDeleteWoops, I did forget to mention my lesson plan idea! Any who, I would use the jigsaw idea to cover the topic of immigration/ migration. So, one group would specialize in immigration, another in migration, one push factors and another in pull factors. This can let students become experts on different ideas about the main topic.
DeleteNow, that I think about it though.. It could be used as an assessment maybe that covers all the five themes of geography! :)
The other thing to consider is that the jigsaw thing is nothing new, and perhaps there are other versions that ask different questions more suitable to different lessons.
ReplyDelete