The trend I had was the
interactive whiteboard (IWB). This trend from what I see is going back and
forth between loving it and hating it. More and more classrooms that can afford
it will get IWB’s and other technological materials. This technology is there
to help the teacher create engaging hands on lessons. While helping students
learn the material in different interactive ways. On the other side I am seeing
that IWB cost way too much and have many technological problems. Teachers do
not have the proper training to use such a board at well which in the end
defeats its purpose. Teachers and others can purchase other useful materials
such as tablets, projectors, elmos and other technological things to promote
the same results at a cheaper price.
I am
interested in this topic because my CT has a IWB sorta. She has a projector on
the ceiling that but when it is projected on a regular whiteboard it is
touchable. My CT can use the interactive pen to change between slides when
presenting. I really like this style of IWB because it does not take up space.
Also, it allows me to still use my whiteboard for other things. Online learning
is very interesting to me. I see the positives that students can do homework
online and in class on a chrome book, tablet, Ipad etc. The draw back I see
though is that online learning cannot be done at home depending on the student’s
home life and other reasons.
Virtual
schooling worries me though because if all the learning takes place online and
out of the classroom wont that put me out of a job? I do enjoy taking online
courses I am not going to lie. It works nicely with my schedule, I can work and
take class when I want. For me going to school to be a teacher, it worries me
that I will not have a job because students will not need to come to class if
they can do their work and learning online. Also, I find it harder to adjust
lesson plans and be able to evaluate students because you are not personally
interacting with them.
This trend
with IWB does not affect my major or level of study. This trend would actually
improve it! It would probably make social studies a bit more fun in a sense. I’m
sure there are ways with a IWB that can engage students learning in socials
studies. I am excited about possibly having a IWB in a future classroom. I
would like to play around with it and really explore some of its uses and
features. I am skeptical about it actually working. After reading about
teachers having constant problems that could take time from learning is not
good. The thing is though teachers take this risk with any technological device
they use.
Groups that would benefit from
IWB are students with special needs and even difficult students. They can be
more engaged and get resources they need to help them learn. Difficult students
could find IWB a way to stay engage with assignments and learning new topics.
Special needs students there are features that the teacher could use on the IWB
that could benefit their learning. Hands on lessons or games would help them to
learn topics.
With respect to the word 'engaging', how does a student learn better with an IWB? Can you (and those in your group commenting on your post) think of ways?
ReplyDeleteI think the interactive white boards can be a really good thing in the classroom if utilized. I think it provides student the opportunity of control. Students love writing on the board and being heard as is, but when handing them a electronic tool, its pretty cool as a 2nd grader. I know whenever we use our smart board, the whole class is waiting for their turn to answer a math problem on the board. I love that as a student is writing their math problem the teacher can go ahead and talk through the slide show as the student is doing the work for everyone to see. I have only seen a couple IWB, i'm wondering which is better for a younger classroom? Smartboard or IWB?
ReplyDelete